Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive lung disease that can make breathing difficult and impact daily life. However, with the right strategies, it is possible to manage COPD and continue living life to the fullest. Here are some tips for managing COPD:
- Quit smoking: Smoking is the leading cause of COPD, so quitting is one of the crucial steps to manage the condition. Talk to our premium health care about resources and strategies to help you quit smoking.
- Follow a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet can help manage COPD symptoms and maintain overall health. Focus on a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise can improve lung function and overall health, so incorporate regular physical activity into your routine. Talk to our experts for physical exams and exercises that are safe for you to do with COPD.
- Practice breathing techniques: Breathing techniques can help manage COPD symptoms and improve lung function. Some examples include pursed lip breathing and diaphragmatic breathing. Our primary care services can help you with this.
- Manage stress: Stress can worsen COPD symptoms. Therefore, it is vital to manage stress. Try relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, or tai chi.
- Take medications as prescribed: Medications can help manage COPD symptoms and prevent complications. Take medications as prescribed and talk to your healthcare provider about any concerns or side effects.
Talk to your healthcare provider about a personalized treatment plan that meets your needs and goals.